Monday, April 4, 2011

Banana Bread

Banana Bread.  I'm honestly not a fan of it but the husband loves it.  I am so NOT a fan of it that I can't even tell you how it tastes...because I don't even want to eat it.  However...Dave has given it his seal of approval so I will share.  This recipe is incredibly easy...impossible to screw up!

The Recipe: Banana Bread



















Ingredients
1 C Sugar
1/4 C Shortening
1 Egg
3 Ripe Bananas, mashed
2 C Flour
1/2 t Salt
1 t Baking soda
1 t Baking Powder
Dash of Nutmeg
Dash of Cinnamon
Vanilla Sugar

Preparation

1.  Preheat oven to 300.
2.  Combine ingredients in order listed, mixing thoroughly after each new ingredient added.
3.  Pour batter into greased loaf pan.  Sprinkle Vanilla Sugar generously over top.
4.  Bake for 1 hour.
5.  Remove from pan to let cool.

The Verdict

Smells good...the husband says it tastes good and tends to eat the entire loaf all by himself so it can't be too bad! 

This recipe makes a very dense bread...it is more of a dessert-y type bread.

A couple of notes...
1.  I use really ripe bananas because they give a better flavor.  Basically...they are best when you are just about to toss them.
2.  For a twist...I have made this as a Chocolate-Banana bread.  Substitute one container of Chocolate Pudding ( about 1/2 to 3/4 Cup...I usually just use a pre-made Snak-pack or swiss miss type) for one of the bananas.  Leave out the nutmeg and cinnamon.  It's yummy and has just a hint of chocolate to it!  You can add some chocolate chips if you want a bit more bite.
3.  I use Penzey's Vanilla Sugar on the top.  It gives it a nice sweet crust as it bakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment